Quarantine Diary : IKIGAI - The Japanese Secret

Monday, 13 April 2020 

Two years ago, My office requested me to make an Annual Excellence Training (AET) Proposal. Every year, AET conducted in overseas specially Asia. My Bos asked me to made special proposal to visit Vietnam and learned their tradition. The deadline should be one week after the ordered. 

I spent three days for having conduct research about Vietnam. However, my mind stucked on the book that I bought 5 months ago, its written IKIGAI which mean the Japanese secret to a Long and Happy Life. I decided to read briefly on some chapters. The more I read, the more I want to know about Japan. The more I read, the more I want to dig all Japanese information. Then I decided to make 3 proposals for AET. 
Vietnam, Japan and Labuan Bajo (a beautiful island in Nusa Tenggara Barat, Indonesia)


It’s not take a big efforts for making those proposals specially on the planning and budgeting. I and my coworker, Lina has worked collaboratively for this project and delivered on time. Not so long after that, My Boss asked me to have a brief meeting for this planning with other Partners and I should present those proposals to them. 

I spoke around 30 minutes to the upper management. It took me  5 minutes to talk about Vietnam, 5 minutes about Labuan Bajo and 20 minutes about Japan. Wow, I was so impressed to myself, I know Japan more than I thought :). The management then agreed and accepted my ToR and Budgeting proposal for Japan Annual Excellence Training. Even, I cannot join this, since I haven’t finished my first year of working with them, but I enjoyed managing this event. 

My body maybe in Jakarta at the time, but my mind and soul already there, I made a journey through a Book. Japan, A Country that conquered my Country 80 years ago, has been showing me the secret to a Long and Happy Life. On of Japanese secret specially for those born in Okinawa, the island with the most centenarians in the world, they always feel busy and has a reason to make up in the morning. This tradition has been doing for generation to generation. Whatever they do, whatever they age, there is no retire. 

There is such a popular wisdom in Indonesia “mens sama in corpora sano” which mean a sound mind in a sound body. It reminds me that both mind and body are important, and that the health of one is connected to the other. It has been shown that maintaining an active, adaptable mind is one of the key factors in staying young, healthy and happy.  


I am currently on searching my IKIGAI ( What I love, What I good at, What the world need me to do and what I can be paid of) everyday. How about you, have you found your IKIGAI? 

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Indonesia Youth Forum 2016. Pemuda Menghadapi Masyarakat Ekonomi Asean

Life after the Black Death (The Most Costly Pandemic in Human History) Why we should learn from it !

lirik musikalisasi puisi dwitasari - "kepergianku"